Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Alzheimer's and Music


A few years ago, I read an article that said people with Alzheimer's disease don't lose their memories- they just lose access to them. And that got me to wondering if there was any way to help them access their memories. In my work with Alzheimer's, I quickly noticed that those who rarely talked at all, would sing along with a song. Interestingly enough, they couldn't recall my name, but they could sing every single word of, "You Are My Sunshine." Aha! Music seemed to be an access to the memory.Familiar music also seemed to cause an array of emotions. Some music was stimulating, some calming, some causing happiness, and some even melancholy. So if some music was stimulating, I decided to use it at times when stimulation was needed. Take eating for example.

I noticed that lighthearted, upbeat music seemed to stimulate their appetites. Also, the same kind of music, kept them from napping, whereas quiet, soothing music appeared to be a sedative.It didn't take long for me to figure out that there should be music playing all the time. Yes, medication is necessary. But it's not the only means available to the caregiver. Find out what kind of music your loved one grew up listening to. Childhood songs are great, and believe it or not, sometimes even nursery rhymes brighten up their faces.....because they can remember them! Some of my residents enjoyed country music, while others like the Beatles. Remember: music can bridge the gap to their memory. Is there a particular song you hear that can take you right back in time, and you can remember exactly what you were doing when you heard it? If not for hearing that song, you probably would not have accessed that memory!Music is a tool in the management of Alzheimer's disease. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment